Friday 11 April 2008

Welsh Dresser

My Welsh Dresser takes pride and place in the corner of my kitchen and brightens it up cheerfully. It's an old pine dresser made from reclaimed timber. I've always loved dressers - be they Welsh dressers, French dressers or antique dressers. They have a certain character of their own, unlike any other piece of furniture. They're made to hold and display crockery on and I've used mine to display my collections on.


I've lovingly displayed my collection of teapots, salt and pepper shakers, plates, cards and other knick-knacks on it. Each piece has a sentimental significance to it and just by glancing at it I can remember who gave me which piece and also what was scavanged from flea markets myself. I love colourful ceramic ware and am drawn to objects that are warm and homey - cottages, fruit, flowers, vases, pots, jugs etc - not so much the cutesy cutesy things like teddy bears and bunnies tho'. It's a job to dust and I really get to it by starting at the very top and clearing each shelf systematically before dusting and polishing - yep I take great pride in looking after my Welsh Dresser and I 'm not ashamed to admit it!

No comments: